UTAP Coordinator | Jondria Thompson | Phone : 754.322.0674
We are training the students of today to become teachers and future leaders through the Urban Teaching Academy Program (UTAP). UTAP provides a rigorous curriculum and extensive field experience to prepare highly qualified candidates to enter the teaching profession. Students are given actual “hands-on” opportunities to teach primary or secondary school students under the leadership of experienced teachers. Students will have an opportunity for scholarships when involved in the professional organization Future Educators Association.
It is our vision when students complete the four-year program that they matriculate thoroughly prepared for the 21st century workplace. In order for our students to become college and career ready the following steps must be taken into action:
- Field experience and apprenticeship opportunities through community partnerships
- College/university tours to observe the academic and social life of postsecondary education
- Supportive and well-trained personnel that are committed to the vision of training future teachers and managers
- Incorporating technology that drives instruction and promotes obtaining industry certifications in both Photoshop and Dreamweaver
- Preparing students for college by infusing national achievement testing strategies into the curriculum
Acceptance into a Magnet Program for high school students is based upon academic performance. Exceptional education students with disabilities must meet magnet school entry requirements that will ensure the student’s success in the magnet program. English Language Learners (ELL) must have FCAT or nationally standardized test score in reading and/or mathematics and the GPA as required criteria for specific magnet programs as described in Policy.
For all high school programs, unless otherwise noted, there is a review process for students who do not meet the following established entrance criteria for the Urban Teacher Academy:
- GPA- 2.0
- FCAT score of 3 or higher (reading and math)
Applications to the Urban Teacher Academy Program are being accepted December 1, 2017 – February 8, 2018. Please contact our Magnet Office for more information on how you can apply – 754.322.0674
Our OPEN HOUSE took place on Thursday, January 25, 2018 – 7:00pm