BRACE Advisor | Ms. M. Davis | Phone: 754.322.0691 | Hours: Monday – Friday 7:10am – 2:40pm
The Broward Advisors for Continuing Education (BRACE) Program is unique to the Broward County Public School System. BRACE provides students with information on post-secondary options, such as college, university, technical school, and military service as well as information on scholarships, college admission testing, financial aid, and the college application process.
Post-secondary information is provided to students through classroom visits, events, and activities throughout the school year. For additional assistance, students may visit the BRACE office in 152. Students and families are welcome to contact Ms. Davis for an appointment.
SIGN UP to receive text messages about scholarship information, SAT/ACT dates, college visits, application deadlines and much more!
Text your CLASS CODE to this number: 81010
Class of 2018: @dbhs2018
Class of 2019: @dbhs2019
Class of 2020: @dbhs20
Class of 2021: @DBHS2021
- Here is a good QUICK read from the New York Times “7 things Graduating Seniors Should Know About College.
College Acceptance Letters
If you have been accepted into college bring your acceptance letters to Ms. Davis in the brace office to be read on morning announcements.
- Due to a delay with the school district, final transcripts will not be available for a few weeks, at the EARLIEST. Once they are available, the district will automatically be sending it for each student to the college or university listed on the Graduation Survey.
- If your school choice has changed, or anything changes over the summer, you will need to contact the school to request a copy once they are available, which you will come pick up yourself. Please call 754-322-0650 for help.
If you need a transcript for a college application, scholarship or residency, you must request ALL copies through Naviance . Log-in and Click on the “REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS” button on the homepage.
- Once your transcripts are final, they will be automatically sent to the Florida DOE for final evaluation for ALL students.
- If you haven’t applied for Bright Futures yet, you can still do so.
- Butler: you will be notified this summer (expect sometime in July) about your Butler scholarship award viaEMAIL. KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR EMAIL! The award will be sent directly through the bank to your college/University at the beginning of the Fall term.
- BEF: The Broward Education Foundation should be sending out notifications by the end of this week. They have a reception next Wednesday, June 14 at NSU in the evening for all recipients. You will be invited if you are selected as a winner.
- There are still some scholarships available! Keep checking Naviance, Cappex, Fastweb & other sites for deadlines through July.
- All scholarships will be posted in Family Connection, every day you wait to look for scholarships is money lost- START TODAY!!
The Guidance Department is pleased to introduce Family Connection – a comprehensive website that you and your student can use to make plans about colleges, and careers. Family Connection is linked with Naviance™, a service that we use in our office to track and analyze data about college and career plans, so it provides up-to-date information that is specific to our school.
Family Connection allows your student to:
- Get involved in the planning and advising process – Build a resume, complete online surveys, and manage timelines and deadlines for making decisions about colleges and careers
- Research colleges – Compare GPA, standardized test scores, and other statistics to actual historical data from our school for students who have applied and been admitted in the past
- Search for scholarships- Search for local and national scholarships to help your student pay for college.
- Log into Family Connection
- Go to the “colleges” tab
- Scroll down to the “scholarships” box
- Click on scholarship list, scholarship match, and national scholarship search to view all available scholarships
- Research careers – Research hundreds of careers and career clusters, and take career assessments
- Create plans for the future – Create goals and to-dos, and complete tasks assigned by the school to better prepare your student for future college and career goals.
Apply in Family Connection:Username: Student numberPassword: birthdate mm/dd/yyyy (with the slashes)
Family Connection also lets us share information with you and your student about upcoming meetings and events, local scholarship opportunities, and other resources for college and career information.
See Student Quick Start Guide for instructions to access Family Connection.