BRACE Advisor | Ms. M. Davis | Phone: 754.322.0691 | Hours: Monday – Friday 7:10am – 2:40pm
The Broward Advisors for Continuing Education (BRACE) Program is unique to the Broward County Public School System. BRACE provides students with information on post-secondary options, such as college, university, technical school, and military service as well as information on scholarships, college admission testing, financial aid, and the college application process.
Post-secondary information is provided to students through classroom visits, events, and activities throughout the school year. For additional assistance, students may visit the BRACE office in 152. Students and families are welcome to contact Ms. Davis for an appointment.
SIGN UP to receive text messages about scholarship information, SAT/ACT dates, college visits, application deadlines and much more!
Text your CLASS CODE to this number: 81010
Class of 2018: @dbhs2018
Class of 2019: @dbhs2019
Class of 2020: @dbhs20
Class of 2021: @DBHS2021
- Here is a good QUICK read from the New York Times “7 things Graduating Seniors Should Know About College.
College Acceptance Letters
If you have been accepted into college bring your acceptance letters to Ms. Davis in the brace office to be read on morning announcements.
University representatives will be visiting DBHS to meet with interested students. You can sign up for these visits in Naviance here
THINGS TO NOTE:
1. Sign up for visits will close 24 hours before the visit.
2. Space is limited- SIGN UP EARLY!
3. You must have permission from your teacher to attend the visit.
4. No announcements will be made during the school day. It is YOUR responsibility to remember to show up.
5. Come prepared! Check out the university’s website, minimum requirements and other information important to you and come ready to ask questions.
* This visit will include an information session as well as application help. Seniors will have the opportunity to create/log-in to their Coalition Application and as well as work on the Self-reported student academic record (SSAR) with the direct help from admissions counselors*
BRACE Ambassadors are peer leaders who assist with college and career readiness activities for the school. If you are interested in being an ambassador, please send me an email! firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BRACE Lunch & Learn is a lunchtime workshop on varous topics relating to college and career readiness!
- Students will BRING THEIR LUNCH to the College & Career Center in room 152 for the second half of lunch to eat and learn about the topic of the day!
WHEN: Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2017
A Lunch start time: 10:55am
B Lunch start time: 12:35pm
SAT/ACT DATES & Waivers
If you are planning on taking the SAT or ACT, please see the dates. If you are eligible for fee waivers, stop by my office DURING LUNCH to pick up your waivers.
- All scholarships will be posted in Family Connection, every day you wait to look for scholarships is money lost- START TODAY!!
- Grades 5-12
- Legal resident of one of the 50 states or D.C
- Has engaged in a volunteer activity that occurred at least in part after September 1, 2016
- Current high school seniors, or the equivalent, who are citizens of the United States are eligible to apply.
- Applicants need not be related to a member of the Elks.
- High school graduates are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States on the date their applications are signed; permanent legal resident status does not qualify.
The Guidance Department is pleased to introduce Family Connection – a comprehensive website that you and your student can use to make plans about colleges, and careers. Family Connection is linked with Naviance™, a service that we use in our office to track and analyze data about college and career plans, so it provides up-to-date information that is specific to our school.
Family Connection allows your student to:
- Get involved in the planning and advising process – Build a resume, complete online surveys, and manage timelines and deadlines for making decisions about colleges and careers
- Research colleges – Compare GPA, standardized test scores, and other statistics to actual historical data from our school for students who have applied and been admitted in the past
- Search for scholarships- Search for local and national scholarships to help your student pay for college.
- Log into Family Connection
- Go to the “colleges” tab
- Scroll down to the “scholarships” box
- Click on scholarship list, scholarship match, and national scholarship search to view all available scholarships
- Research careers – Research hundreds of careers and career clusters, and take career assessments
- Create plans for the future – Create goals and to-dos, and complete tasks assigned by the school to better prepare your student for future college and career goals.
Apply in Family Connection:Username: Student numberPassword: birthdate mm/dd/yyyy (with the slashes)
Family Connection also lets us share information with you and your student about upcoming meetings and events, local scholarship opportunities, and other resources for college and career information.
See Student Quick Start Guide for instructions to access Family Connection.
- All students must request transcripts through NAVIANCE for COLLEGE APPLICATIONS:
- Log in to Naviance:
- Click on the red “request transcripts” link
- Follow the instructions to add schools to your list
- YOU MUST SELECT HOW YOU ARE APPLYING TO THE SCHOOL!
- â€‹If there is a symbol with a question mark like this next to a school the transcript CAN NOT BE SENT. You can change this by updating the column “How are you applying?” Select either theCOMMON APP or DIRECT TO INSTITUTION
- For PAPER/HARD COPIES of transcripts (for scholarships):
- FIll out the paper request and submit it to the registrar, Mrs. Williams-Moorer, in the school counseling office
Letters of Recommendation
- Log in to Naviance
- Go to the “Colleges” Tab
- Click on “Letters of Recommendation”
- Click the “Add request” button and follow instructions to add the teacher you are requesting
- TIPS for Letters of Rec:
- MAKE SURE you give your teachers enough time to complete the letter(TWO WEEKS before the deadline is a good MINIMUM rule to go by)
- SPEAK with your teacher about the letter to make sure they are willing to write you one
- SEND your teacher a copy of your resume
- COMPLETE the Brag Sheet survey in Naviance to give additional information that will help them write you an effective letter