BRACE Advisor | Ms. M. Davis | Phone: 754.322.0691 | Hours: Monday – Friday 7:10am – 2:40pm
The Broward Advisors for Continuing Education (BRACE) Program is unique to the Broward County Public School System. BRACE provides students with information on post-secondary options, such as college, university, technical school, and military service as well as information on scholarships, college admission testing, financial aid, and the college application process.
Post-secondary information is provided to students through classroom visits, events, and activities throughout the school year. For additional assistance, students may visit the BRACE office in the Media Center during lunch. Students and families are welcome to contact Ms. Davis for an appointment.
SIGN UP to receive text messages about scholarship information, SAT/ACT dates, college visits, application deadlines and much more!
Text your CLASS CODE to this number: 81010
Class of 2017: @dbhs17
Class of 2018: @dbhs2018
Class of 2019: @dbhs2019
Class of 2020: @dbhs20
- Here is a good QUICK read from the New York Times “7 things Graduating Seniors Should Know About College.
College Acceptance Letters
If you have been accepted into college bring your acceptance letters to Ms. Davis in the brace office to be read on morning announcements.
The graduation survey needs to be done in NAVIANCE/FAMILY CONNECTION. Several of you told Ms. Davis you completed it in Virtual Counselor; That does not count. Ms. Davis has distributed paper versions of the survey to your English teachers with a list of students who have not yet completed it in Naviance. You need to do EITHER the paper version or the survey in Naviance; it is the same survey. This must be done ASAP or we will hold your cap and gown. It takes 5 minutes.
FINAL TRANSCRIPTS: Your FINAL transcript is ready AFTER you graduate on June 4th. Your college or university will need a copy of this to make sure you received a high school diploma. You put this request in VIA the GRADUATION SURVEY. It will not be sent until June. Each student will get ONE (1) final transcript sent for free, so make sure you only list ONE (1) school to receive your final transcript.
**Your school probably has a “hold” on your record right now until they have this. It CANNOT be sent before you graduate. As long as you list it in your survey, it will get sent**
– IF you need to change your selection on your graduation survey…. email Ms. Davis ASAP.
If you need a transcript for a college application, scholarship or residency, you must request ALL copies through Naviance . Log-in and Click on the “REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS” button on the homepage.
Your award letter is a letter from a university showing you if you are eligible for scholarships and what you should expect to receive in financial aid. Please bring Ms. Davis a copy of your award letter(s); and she can help you read it and compare colleges so you can make the best decision for your future.
FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is now open for the 2017-2018 school year! This is the application you must complete if you want to be considered for financial aid.If you haven’t filled out your FAFSA, PLEASE see Ms. Davis ASAP so she can help you. Even if you are not sure what your plans are, there could be money you are leaving on the table and don’t even realize it. This money can help you pay for college or a technical program (at ATC, Sheraton tech, etc.). If you are eligible for the Pell Grant, it can pay up to $5,920 per school year, which will more than cover your expenses at Broward College or any technical program
To fill out the form, go to fafsa.ed.gov
Detailed instructions, FAQs and a worksheet are in your Naviance accounts to help you through the process.
- All scholarships will be posted in Family Connection, every day you wait to look for scholarships is money lost- START TODAY!!
The Guidance Department is pleased to introduce Family Connection – a comprehensive website that you and your student can use to make plans about colleges, and careers. Family Connection is linked with Naviance™, a service that we use in our office to track and analyze data about college and career plans, so it provides up-to-date information that is specific to our school.
Family Connection allows your student to:
- Get involved in the planning and advising process – Build a resume, complete online surveys, and manage timelines and deadlines for making decisions about colleges and careers
- Research colleges – Compare GPA, standardized test scores, and other statistics to actual historical data from our school for students who have applied and been admitted in the past
- Search for scholarships- Search for local and national scholarships to help your student pay for college.
- Log into Family Connection
- Go to the “colleges” tab
- Scroll down to the “scholarships” box
- Click on scholarship list, scholarship match, and national scholarship search to view all available scholarships
- Research careers – Research hundreds of careers and career clusters, and take career assessments
- Create plans for the future – Create goals and to-dos, and complete tasks assigned by the school to better prepare your student for future college and career goals.
Apply in Family Connection:Username: Student numberPassword: birthdate mm/dd/yyyy (with the slashes)
Family Connection also lets us share information with you and your student about upcoming meetings and events, local scholarship opportunities, and other resources for college and career information.
See Student Quick Start Guide for instructions to access Family Connection.